Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Delete Button, the Answer

Almost three years ago  now I made the daft (and unconscious mind you) decision to faint at the doctor's office. Me and my luck made this into more than just an embarrassing fainting spell. I managed to land on the one sharp point present in the entire office and received a hole in my head and a concussion for my efforts. Needless to say recovery has been necessary.It has also been slow, frustrating, seemingly not here.
I used to define myself as a writer, it was who I was, what I did, where I went. Yet ever since my accident my writing has suffered. I cannot say for sure it is purely the spill that made my thought process different or something else, but for some reason I no longer manage to sit in front of my computer and just type away into the small hours throughout the long hours and all the minutes in between.
The ideas are still here, I often jot down notes on whatever paperlike material I find near.. I just cannot focus enough to finish more than a small scene, a dialogue, one significant detail... and then I am bored. Or bored is not the word. I just find my thoughts drifting and the part of me that is inspired and wanting to write and write and write fades into silence. It is so frustrating because I know it is still there, I still have the ideas, I still have the character developments, I still have the plot lines; it is all ready to be written down and tweeked and edited until it is what I deem perfect. Yet. Such a small word and yet so significant. It colors a sentence and now it colors my waking hours.
I decided enough is enough. My studies offer a course in Creative Writing, I took it. Now I have to write a small story every week, complete a portfolio and be graded on that. It is ridiculously easy to write 500 words. The hardest part is stopping at just 500 words. We have this book which offers advice for the beginning writer and it actually makes sense and maybe, just maybe, I actually find it useful. Already I feel that small voice of inspiration turning up the volume.
It is time, I think. Time to stop wondering and guessing and just, I don't know.. suck it up? Whatever it is time for, I have made the decision to be more diligent, stricter to myself. From now on I will write again, even if nothing comes from my fingertips but drivel, it is time to start again. After all, there is always the delete button.

No comments:

Post a Comment