Saturday, February 16, 2013

On theme's, clichés and curses

Lately I have been kind of stuck on the whole life's not fair bit.
It's a recurring theme in literature, in life. It is a cliché, and for a reason. No one can see into someone else's life and judge on the difficulties and struggles facing that person. Yet we all try. Or maybe that is just me. Sometimes when I look around and take stock of all the things wrong in my life and how smoothly the lives of those around me seem to go I just revert back to a five year old, wanting things to be fair.. needing things to be fair.
Let's be honest here. Life sucks. The only given is that one day, you will die. Life doesn't owe you shit, the simple fact that you are breathing and here is a gift.
I read a book once that had a saying in it, one reserved for enemies or those the person saying them simply didn't like. "May you live in interesting times." It seems like a blessing, for who would want to live a life in which nothing happens? Think upon it though, think hard. Think also on this, all great events in history can be described by just two words; the World Wars, the French Revolution, Columbus finding "India", the rise and fall of the many empires this world has seen... All of it. It can all be summarized by this: "Something happened."
History is not written about the simple things, the normal, boring, every day to day things. We are left wondering about those things, we only know the big events, the interesting events. The big something that happened.
I wouldn't mind living a simple life. Not a life of obscurity, mind you. But I would like some simplicity, a week without pain, without friends betraying me, without worrying about money, without navigating my way through a tense relationship with my mother. A week in which nothing happens.
It sounds quite nice to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment